"kind of like a jail, except there’s the possibility of drowning"

Bill Reichert guest blogged at Guy Kawasaki's blog about an interesting visit to the USS Nimitz aircraft carrier.

The title of the post was Top Ten Lessons from the US Navy: Management Lessons on an Aircraft Carrier at Sea, but I could not resist using a quote from the captain of the ship as the title of this post.

Well worth reading.

When I began studying military organizational and leadership models some years ago, I was astounded by what I found: focus on people, flexible organizational structures, and leadership models compatible with Agile software development.

I have written a couple of articles about the IOHAI leadership model, Deconstructing IOHAI and One More Loop Through the IOHAI Hoop. Those articles are a bit technical, but they enabled me to write a much simpler description of IOHAI in my book Tempo.

I wish these ideas could take hold in the business community, I mean really take hold. Once you get used to them, they are simple, natural, and very powerful. (They are also supported by neurological research, but I'll get into that another time.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waterfall - The Dark Age of Software Development Has Returned!

Waterfall vs. Agile: Battle of the Dunces or A Race to the Bottom?

Interlude: The Cost of Agile